Mysterious Mail At Monkton Wyld Court
Monkton Wyld Court, a centre for sustainable living in Dorset received a postcard this month sent from Durban, South Africa, on 2nd November, 1957. The card not suprisingly has not arrived in time to be read by its intended recipient, who it is believed may have been a student, teacher or staff member at the boarding school based at the Court at that time. It is hoped, however, that some light might be shed on the story during the next Monkton Wyld School reunion, to be held next May.
For seventy years, the Grade II listed neo-Gothic buildings and eleven acres of grounds, gardens and meadows of Monkton Wyld Court have been dedicated to the education of residents, visitors and guests. Designed by Richard Cromwell Carpenter, the house was built in 1848 as a parsonage and architectural complement to nearby St Andrews Church. In 1940, after a brief period as a hotel, it was bought by Carl and Eleanor Urban, who relocated from London to establish a new school promoting cooperative living and learning. While the original School closed in 1982, the importance of farming and other practical skills and a focus on what is now called sustainability have remained central to Monkton’s ethos.
As an Educational Centre for Sustainable Living, Monkton Wyld Court today hosts a range of courses, conferences and gatherings for adults, families and children. A Steiner-based kindergarten and regular community events help to foster a local connection. From bee-keeping to yoga, Monkton promotes low-impact, earth-centered skills for changing modern life. Family weeks with themes like bushcraft and fossil-hunting prove especially popular. Meals for guests are lovingly prepared in the house kitchen using fresh organic ingredients from the Court’s own Victorian walled garden and other local producers.
For further information about Monkton Wyld Court please visit their website for images of the house and grounds and a complete listing of forthcoming courses.